Monday, January 18, 2010

The behavioral method believes that we are mechanically controlled by our environment. GIVE AN EXAMPLE!?

Well, we are NOT mechanically controlled by our environment...even if people like Pavlov and B.F. Skinner thought so over 50 years ago. We've learned a few things since then.





Humans can think analytically. In this important way, they aren't like animals. So the stimulus-response reaction that is the centerpiece of behaviorism doesn't always work as it does with animals. With humans, the process may well be stimulus-analysis-response.





For example, when my spouse kisses me on the neck, this is something that has happened a gazillion times, and I immediately respond with emotion and usually behavior. But there have been times when this happened and I thought, ';Wait a minute, if we make love now, we'll be late to the symphony. Those tickets cost over $100. So not now...we can make love later.';





This is why even though you have to study it in college, behaviorism is no longer the prevailing paradigm of psychology.The behavioral method believes that we are mechanically controlled by our environment. GIVE AN EXAMPLE!?
When I come home I can light the candles (visual), pour fragrant bubbles in the bath (aroma), and relax (senses) because it's 6:00 (reinforced behavior) and everyone knows I cannot answer the phone so they do not call. I am like the chicken in the carnival who pecks the tiny piano keys to receive a kernel of corn. Therefore, if I were afraid of elevators, I should get on one (by force if necessary) and ride it all day!! Instant cure!! Change the behavior, change the person. ( Don't buy it myself though.)
  • mascara
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment