Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Can you give me examples of how YOU are controlled by the media?

i admit i always have to have the best toys.Can you give me examples of how YOU are controlled by the media?
I don't think anyone can say the full effect of the media on them, as I believe a lot of it is subconscious.





But, many times when a song has a catchy/annoying jingle is used for a product, it gets stuck in your head - especially the irritating ones, and therefore it's constantly pummeling the said product into your head.





Also, I think when products are subtly put into films - like the best example for me is, in a film, whenever someone lights a cigarette [and attention is supposed to be drawn to them lighting it], I immediately want to have one.Can you give me examples of how YOU are controlled by the media?
If I don't hear about it how can I react to it?





I do my best to visit information sources from as many viewpoints as I can and get the best concensious I can from those sources. However many things just don't get reported. An example during the reign of terror against the Militia movement in the 90s most people know of Waco and many have heard of Ruby Ridge but those were just 2 of hundreds of such operations. Typically buried on page 23 in large newspapers you heard about smaller operations, often with no survivors on the sieged. Several a year and how many did I not hear about? What happened to the family that had at the time I read about them withstood the Feds for 3 months already? The story appeared breifly in the newspaper then you hear nothing more ever about it. How many reading this heard about the Granny that stood off the police for 2 months? I stumbled on the story one day.





You hear about things the press wants you to hear about. For example no knock warrents kill people every year. The Granny in Detroit was not unusual. That happens every year but since it was a Granny you heard about it. If you search hard enough you find cases where the wrong house was hit occasionally killing one or more occupents. You hear about people like the Granny who were doing nothing wrong but were killed in a no knock warrent.





It's what we don't hear about that is most disturbing about how the media works. All the while fluff is thrown at us or we hear over and over again about some event until we are tired of it.
idk i think everyone is at some point.


personally, I have to admit when I see a yummy food commercial I really do want to go to that restaurant lol. i can't help it.. it's visually appealing.


also, beautiful models and actresses affects women %26amp; girls .. they want to imitate the beauty that is so obviously being admired. thus make-up, hair products, even clothes are bought in the efforts to look like them
No, because I'm not. I'm pretty thoroughly disconnected from TV and the radio, most of my reading is pre-1900, and what media I do watch are carefully selected movies or other programmes from several languages. But as to allowing myself to be manipulated by ';news'; or advertising--it simply doesn't happen. I've learned that if you shut the TV off your life becomes very free.





I realised the other day that I have no idea who the ';popular'; celebs, singers, songs, TV shows are because they simply don't impinge on my life. I don't know or use the newest slang or catchphrases because I don't know what they are. Or care.





Now, you want to discuss Elisabethan and Jacobean literature, and I'm there.
The effects of the media are believed to be subtle, complex and pervading on occasions and yet so little is really known of how it really affects the heart, the mind and the spirit of us. Many myths have developed about its power and it is misused, abused and disused.
i'm not. but i hate when they take songs that are important to me and use them in cheesy commercials. I mean your going to use ';all you need is love'; to sell diapers?? lennon would be kicking some major corporate *** if he was alive today. I mean, really. The worst part is i am the one who notices or cares. ahh the state of music today is in shoclk
Well, I was a production assistant for NBC and CBS news at varying times in my life...never got over the fact that throughout the years the news simply acts as a televised obituary and crime blog. It has made me scared and depressed so I refuse to watch it any longer.
Controlled? Hmm..





Influenced? YES! We all are to some extent or another.





My example: I like to shop, I'm sort of addicted. But then again, that's how women are *SUPPOSED* to behave, right?
Ah! Lets give you a little bit of dylan.


Advertising signs that con you


Into thinking you're the one


That can do what's never been done


That can win, what's never been won


Meantime life outside goes on


All around you





take care


dave
Every time I go purchase something I would not have purchased without seeing a sale ad, getting a coupon or hearing about on the radio, then I consider that media control.
I'm not an important-enuff person for the media to want to even TRY and control me
no

No comments:

Post a Comment